Tourism Insights, Research and Occupancy
Tourism Insights report from Yorkshire
View the reports
Visit Britain Insights and Research
For the latest Annual Survey of Visits to Visitor Attractions: Latest results
Understanding the English tourism landscape - Here is a direct link to all the research that is being conducted to better understand domestic tourism and trends at a national level.
If you are looking to better understand the latest information about the size and the value of the English tourism market? Need the latest business performance trends or to find out who your visitors are and what they think?
Explore domestic overnight and day visitor data or take a look at VB’s Research A-Z, which lists research alphabetically by research topic. You can also take a look at the research timetable to find out when the next set of results will be released.
Sentiment Tracker (Covid 19)
- VB have commissioned and delivered a tracking survey to understand domestic intent to take short breaks and holidays both within the U.K. and abroad, with particular focus around the current barriers and concerns around travel and how these will evolve over time.
- The survey addresses: the likelihood of U.K. residents to travel; when and where they plan to go; specific trip details such as accommodation type and activities undertaken and the type of reassurances they're seeking from the sector.
- The COVID-19 Consumer Sentiment Tracker is based on a U.K. nationally representative sample of 1,500 adults aged 16+. This initially ran across a consecutive 13 week period between May - August 2020. A second phase of the survey, running on a fortnightly basis, commenced in September and will proceed for a total of 12 waves up until early February 2021.
- More detailed Profiling Reports will also be released during the course of the project, based on larger aggregated fieldwork periods.
- A summary report outlining the key results and trends from each wave's fieldwork is available to download.
Accommodation Occupancy: Latest results
Every month the England Occupancy Survey (EOS) measures bedroom and bed-space occupancy across the serviced accommodation sector – from large hotels to small B&Bs and farmhouses.
As well as delivering occupancy levels for the country as a whole, the results are also available by region, destination type and establishment size. This way you can drill down to data relating to Yorkshire as a whole.
- July 2020 (including regional) (PDF, 4.2Mb)
- June 2020 (including regional) (PDF, 4.5Mb)
- May 2020 (including regional) (PDF, 3.1Mb)
- April 2020 (including regional) (PDF, 3.1Mb)
- March 2020 (including regional) (PDF, 3.1Mb)
- February 2020 (including regional) (PDF, 3.1Mb)
- January 2020 (including regional) (PDF, 3.1Mb)
How the survey is conducted: Data is collected from a panel of participating accommodation businesses who submit data each month.
The results from other tourist board surveys are also included to deliver the UK Occupancy Survey (UKOS).
Here is a link to further information on occupancy includes month reports for the UK.
For the latest information on the volume and value of domestic overnight tourism trips
The Great Britain Tourism Survey (GBTS) is a national consumer survey measuring the volume and value of domestic overnight tourism trips taken by residents in Great Britain and provides detailed information about trip and visitor characteristics.
Click here for the latest updates available.
Latest Inbound information
View the latest available monthly data from the International Passenger Survey for volume and value of visits to the UK by overseas residents
Visits to nations, regions and counties
Explore the latest available annual data for your nation, region or county
2020 Tourism Forecast
The annual VisitBritain forecast for the volume and value of inbound tourism to the UK is issued in December each year. VB have updated this page to reflect the impact of COVID-19 on inbound tourism to the UK, as well as an estimate of impact on domestic tourism within England. (Last updated for inbound August 25th; for domestic July 29th.)
Regional Spread of Inbound Tourism 2018, VisitBritain Research, July 2019
Foresight - issue 170
This report looks at the regional distribution of inbound visitors to the UK during 2018, along with nation spread over the longer term. It updates the historical Foresight reports on this topic.
- This analysis comes from the International Passenger Survey (IPS) carried out by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) during 2018. All figures are based on IPS 2018, unless otherwise stated
- Data on the nations, regions and towns inbound visitors to the UK visited refers to where they stayed overnight (page 48 includes a link to a report on inbound day trips).
- Further information on visitor characteristics and behaviours from the Discover England Fund can be found here:
- www.visitbritain.org/visitor characteristics and behaviour
- Interactive data visualisations and latest regional data can be found on the VisitBritain website: