Job title: World Championship Fan Zone Manager
Reporting to: Harrogate Venue Manager
Salary bracket: £30,000-£35,000 per annum (pro-rata)
Contract Type: Fixed term to October 2019
Application close date: 9th Dec 2018 (23:59)
In September 2019, the world’s best cyclists will travel to Yorkshire for the UCI Road World Championships (the ‘Championships’), the pinnacle event in the international road cycling calendar. The Championships will include a range of men’s and women’s races, across age groups from junior to elite, starting in different towns and cities throughout Yorkshire and each finishing in the main competition town of Harrogate.
It will be the first time that Britain has hosted the UCI Road World Championships since 1982 and Yorkshire is aiming to deliver the most inclusive, innovative and inspiring Championships possible.
The Championships will run from 21-29 September 2019 and will commence with a ground-breaking para-cycling event which will act as a qualifier for the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games. The races will feature every Paralympic road racing discipline and take place in front of one of the largest crowds ever assembled for an elite para-cycling event.
The event presents significant size, scale and complexity and will be one of the biggest international sporting events to be hosted in the UK in the coming years. Yorkshire 2019 Ltd (‘Y2019’) has been established as the organisation responsible for the delivery of the event.
The Championships cover nine days of consecutive events. Harrogate will be the main host town throughout this period, providing both the finish point for every race and all central race operations. The majority of the facilities at the finish line will be temporary based on the parkland of The Stray, Harrogate.
Yorkshire 2019 Ltd is looking to recruit a Fan Zone Manager to manage spectator activities within the Harrogate domain. Primarily this will be the main temporary, outdoor facility built on The Stray as a pubic event space. The manager will be responsible for the efficient planning, delivery and management of this main site. In addition, they will lead on the provision of basic spectator facilities and wayfinding at key viewing points and transport hubs around Harrogate.
Within the main Fan Zone, Yorkshire 2019’s commercial team will manage sales for concessions, trade stands and key activation areas. The Fan Zone Manager’s focus will be on ensuring the overarching concept is planned and delivered effectively. The Fan Zone manager will be working within the Harrogate venue team which includes a senior Venue Manager, a Site Manager (starting in the six months prior to the event), an Event Safety Officer and associated site team during the build/operational period of the Championships.
The Fan Zone Manager will:
- Working with Y2019’s commercial team, be responsible for the design, planning and management of a safe, operationally efficient Fan Zone in Harrogate;
- Be the lead contact for all business partners, UCI sponsors and contracted vendors and concessions operating in the Fan Zone ensuring clear communication and effective delivery;
- Collate the utility and FFE requirements for all on-site operators, working in conjunction with the site team to ensure these services are delivered efficiently at Championship event time.
- Work with the commercial and finance teams to ensure relevant rate card re-charges are issued and managed;
- Work with the sport presentation team and any other programming partners regarding entertainment within the Fan Zone;
- Working to agreed budgets, manage any Fan Zone specific services (such as lost children facilities, cash machines). NB: core services (such as power, toilets, security etc) will be managed by the site team;
- Support the branding team to create required wayfinding, look and feel of the site;
- Prepare and manage the Fan Zone’s daily & overnight event servicing plan including site team requirements, vehicle access plans and scheduling;
- Support the Venue Manager with site team recruitment as required.
- Work with Harrogate Venue Manager, the Event Safety Officer, local SAGs and licensing to ensure the safety and safe operations of all stakeholders in, and around, the Fan Zone.
- Work with Harrogate Venue Manager, the Event Safety Officer, local SAGs and licensing on the provision of any basic spectator services in key viewing locations around Harrogate.
- Liaise with the organisers of “Harrogate Welcomes the World“ to ensure any cultural programme in Harrogate supports spectator experience in the Fan Zone and Harrogate.
- Work with the Event Safety Officer to review spectator flow, way-finding and contingency planning around Harrogate particularly to and from the main transport hubs.
- Successful management of a range of stakeholders/concessions operating at a fan zone or festival site;
- Good knowledge of the events industry including an understanding of local authority processes and licensing requirements;
- Good practical understanding of how to provide positive customer experience;
- Knowledge of crowd dynamics and previous experience managing event crowds;
Key competencies and behaviour
- Versatile, practical and adapts to find a solution in a complex and dynamic environment;
- Personable, engaging and quickly builds rapport with stakeholders to find constructive, collaborative solutions;
- Adaptable with strong project management skills, commercially astute;
- Capable of finding creative solutions to ensure positive experience for all;
- A self-starter capable of creating, and subsequently working to, a detailed project plan;
- Calm and effective in pressurised situations;
- A sharp eye for detail and professional delivery.
Please email the following to email@example.com:
- A covering email and;
- Your curriculum vitae (pdf version).
Please title your email using the format: FZM_First Name.Last Name.
Due to the high number of applicants expected for this role, Yorkshire 2019 will only be able to respond to successful applicants.