Welcome to Yorkshire & TUC Launch Joint Safety Campaign
as Hospitality Reopens
- Customer awareness campaign highlights importance of fresh air in reducing Covid transmission
- Posters for venues ask customers to keep windows open and respect the safety of staff
Welcome to Yorkshire and the TUC have launched a joint poster awareness campaign, encouraging everyone to respect the safety of staff and customers by keeping windows and doors in tourism locations open.
Posters have been designed for display in hospitality and culture venues, highlighting the importance of fresh air and ventilation in reducing Covid transmission.
The joint campaign, by the union federation and the tourism body, was created after concerns that certain health messaging about ventilation was not necessarily being responded to.
44% of the hospitality and tourism workforce is aged between 16-34, according to government data, and the majority of this age group has not yet been vaccinated, despite lockdown restrictions being lifted for the industry.
TUC Regional Secretary Bill Adams said: “We are experts in the world of health and safety, and we encourage all employers to work with us to support their staff. We know that fresh air and ventilation indoors is one of the key factors that reduces Covid transmission, and the TUC and Welcome to Yorkshire are promoting this important message together.
“People are excited to get out and have a good time, but that should never be at the expense of customer or workers’ health and safety. We’re asking everyone to think about that before they close windows or doors deliberately left open by staff.”
Welcome to Yorkshire CEO James Mason said: “As we enter the summer months and approach the time when further restrictions may be lifted across the UK, we should still be mindful that air circulation is a key factor to keeping staff and customers virus free. Therefore, in conjunction with the TUC, we are providing posters which all businesses can download to help promote this message in venues and workplaces across Yorkshire.”
Posters are available here:
- ENDS –
· Welcome to Yorkshire is the official destination marketing organisation for Yorkshire, working to grow the county’s visitor economy.
· Welcome to Yorkshire is a not-for-profit membership organisation, funded in part by grants, sponsorship and Welcome to Yorkshire members. All money raised is reinvested directly back into promoting Yorkshire.
· Key facts include:
· Tourism in Yorkshire pre-pandemic was worth £9 billion annually
· The county’s tourism and hospitality industry pre-pandemic employed almost 225 thousand people
- Tag Welcome to Yorkshire in any coverage on Twitter and Facebook using our handles: @welcome2yorks and https://www.facebook.com/welcometoyorkshire
Contact: Carolyn Nicoll – Head of Communications and Editor of This Is Y E:firstname.lastname@example.org M: 07719 673029
Gareth Forest (Lewis) E: email@example.com T: 0113 200 1075 M: 07810 374976
TUC national press office E: firstname.lastname@example.org T: 020 7467 1248
- Age profile of workers in the sector can be found here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/827952/Hospitality_and_Tourism_Workforce_Landscape.pdf
- The Trades Union Congress (TUC) exists to make the working world a better place for everyone. We bring together more than 5.5 million working people who make up our 48 member unions. We support unions to grow and thrive, and we stand up for everyone who works for a living.