The Leader of Wakefield Council, Cllr Peter Box CBE has today been confirmed as the new Chair of Welcome to Yorkshire.
Commenting on the appointment, Cllr Box CBE said: “I am extremely passionate about our county and all it has to offer and am happy to take this opportunity to build on the remarkable success that Welcome to Yorkshire has achieved, and more importantly regain public confidence in its future.
“There is no doubt that recent events have undermined Welcome to Yorkshire’s achievements and I am absolutely clear that we will be doing things very differently as the organisation becomes as open and transparent as possible.
“There is agreement amongst the county’s leaders that we need to continue to market Yorkshire as a great destination. It is my intention that Welcome to Yorkshire now starts a new chapter doing what it does best with a new focus on honesty, transparency and integrity and I look forward to leading this.”
- Peter has served as Chair and Vice Chair of Local Government Yorkshire and Humber.
- Cllr Peter Box CBE was Chair of the Regional Assembly for Yorkshire and the Humber from 2002, until its abolition in 2009 and Chair of the English Regions Network from 2008-2009.
- He became Chair of the LGA’s Economy and Transport Board in 2010 and from 2014 to 2016 chaired the LGA’s Economy, Environment, Housing and Transport Board. He is now a deputy Chair of the LGA and sits and the LGA Executive.
- Peter is currently Chair of the Key Cities Group which is about providing cities with more opportunities to boost the economic prosperity of the country.
- Peter chaired the West Yorkshire Combined Authority from 2014 to 2017 and now Chairs the West Yorkshire Combined Authority Investment Committee.
- He is a Member of the Leeds City Region's Leaders' Board and the Leeds City Region Local Enterprise Partnership and the WYCA Transport Authority.